It's easy to form a bond with your dog from the moment you meet, but how long does it really take to fall in love with them?
A new study from Agria Pet Insurance has revealed that 56% of dog owners fall in love with their pet in just 30 minutes.
The survey of 2,000 pet owners found that...
- 53% prefer cuddling up to their dog on the sofa instead of their partner
- 28% also admitted they would rather share a bed with their dog
- 40% of those polled said they would describe the moment they met their other half as 'love at first sight', while only 16% would say that about their partners
- The owners said it took more than six months to fall in love with their partner, but just 30 minutes with their dog
- Almost 18% said they bonded with their dog in under five minutes
- 37% of dog owners put their dog's needs before the needs of their other half
- 67% showed their dog unconditional love, but 42% admitted to not having pet insurance for them
"It’s not surprising that so many of us believe in love at first sight as most dog-lovers know that feeling when we meet
a dog and our heart just melts," explains Carolyn Menteith, Agria Behaviourist and Trainer.
"One of the reasons we have such a great relationship with our dogs is because of the unconditional love that they are so good at giving – and that we so often don’t get from others in our lives," continues Carolyn.
The research also shows that our relationships with our dogs can often last longer than marriages and Carolyn says "choosing our canine partner wisely couldn’t be more important for a long and happy life together, as is responsible dog ownership."
As part of the research and just in time for National Pet Month in April, Agria have launched their new 'Puppy Love' campaign. This is for dog owners to share theirexperience of getting a puppy, as well as providing expert advice on rescuing the right breed.