The shortlist for the 2020 National Fish and Chip Awards has been announced – and a London restaurant makes the cut.
Borough Market’s Fish! has been shortlisted among nine other fish and chip restaurants across the UK all vying for the coveted title of the UK’s best fish and chip restaurant.
Fish! won the award back in 2017 and has now been shortlisted for the second time. Open since 1999, the Borough Market institution is both a restaurant and takeaway and offers some of the freshest fish in London. While famous for its fish and chips, Fish! also serves delights like fish pie, lobster, thai fish cakes and fish finger sandwiches.
While the winner of the National Fish and Chip Awards won’t be announced until early next year, the shortlist sees restaurants from Dorset to Devon and Belfast to Aberdeenshire praised for their delicious fish and chips.
Organised by Seafish, the public body which supports the £10billion UK seafood industry, the awards take into account taste, customer service and atmosphere along with sustainable sourcing of ingredients, staff training and development policies and innovative menu options for those with dietary requirements.
The UK’s Top 10 Fish & Chip Restaurants
- Fish! Borough Market, Borough Market, London
- Fish City Belfast, Belfast
- Knights Fish & Chip Restaurant, Glastonbury, Somerset
- Malt and Anchor, Cirencester, Gloucestershire
- Quayside Gourdon Limited, Gourdon, Aberdeenshire
- Saltwater Fish Restaurant, Torquay, Devon
- Something Else Fishy, Milborne Port, Sherborne, Dorset
- The Cods Scallops, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- The Fisherman’s Wife, Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Trenchers Restaurant, Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear
Marcus Coleman, Chief Executive at Seafish, said in a statement: “The UK is world-renowned for fish and chip takeaways, but
there are plenty of incredible restaurants serving tasty, healthy fish and chips to sit in customers day in day out.
“We have 10 of these exceptional restaurants represented in this list. Each is a credit to our industry and we wish them all good luck in the finalround of judging.”
The winner will be chosen at an awards ceremony on January 23, 2020.